Thursday, July 10, 2014

Skeletons

 
I have a strong love for Bryan Simpson.
Really, I do.
Look, I know that the man is happily married, but that doesn't change the fact that 1- he is gorgeous; 2- he is a genius when it comes to writing songs and music; 3- he is an amazing musician; 4- he is a Godly man; 5- he's gorgeous (did I say that already).
Anyway, I have crazy mad respect for this man in so many ways for so many reasons. When the group that he fronted, Cadillac Sky, went on hiatus my world like crashed down. Honestly.
That voice! How would I live without that voice.
I understand that sometimes God pulls you in a new direction or calls you to get things in line and so I had mad respect for him (even more-so) for walking away from something that was HUGE. My biggest prayer was just that he would come back to music because I just couldn't live without that voice and because you know he was amazing and that talent can't be wasted. I didn't care what music..but I wanted him back.
************************************
Skip ahead.
He came back.
I could not contain myself.
I got my autographed copy of the CD (after listening to it streaming like a bazillion times); I wrote a lengthy post about it too. (No, I'm not crazy obsessed!)
This new project, The Whistles and the Bells, is nothing short of amazing. The lyrics do not disappoint, the music does not disappoint and I have listened from track 1 to track 12 on repeat more times than I can count and the words just get truer every time.
This song is one on the album. It's called "Skeletons".
 
 
I tweeted about this song once saying, "My skeletons won't stay in my closet either" my reply was, "We're all dealing."
His wisdom is profound.
 
All this got me thinking about how we are all dealing.
We are all dealing with these little secrets that we hid from other people and that we even try to hide from ourselves, like if we keep them locked away they will cease to exist or something. How crazy is that?
We are all dealing.
We are all trying to hide things.
We try to hide our true feelings, our true wishes or hopes or desires, our true sins, our true selves.
We all have skeletons.
And more often than not they don't stay in the closet....at least not forever.
 
I've done my share of hiding. No doubt I am hiding things even now. Even now I am hiding things from people that I call family and friends. No one wants to show everything, no one wants to lay all your cards on the table and lay bare before everyone. What will they think, what will they say? If they knew what I think or what I feel what would happen?
It would be devastating.
 
I don't particularly see a problem with hiding from others. In fact, I think that it can be a good choice because as much as we may want to you can't just go around saying or doing whatever you want to people, I mean there are some standards of behavior that have to be upheld you know? But hiding from yourself, that is scary.
You can run from a lot of things but you can't (and shouldn't) run from you.
We have to be honest with ourselves. We have to be honest about our fears, our hopes, our desires. We have to be honest with ourselves about what we expect from ourselves and what we like or don't like.
I have come to believe more and more that really being honest with yourself is KEY to our happiness. Be honest about your fears because if you don't recognize your fears then you can't work to overcome them; be honest with yourself about your desires, if you don't make known to even yourself what you really want, you can't take the steps to achieve it.
Stop hiding your skeletons.
No matter how bad they are they will come out sometime in some way. I would rather they come out on MY terms than on THEIR terms. I would rather just be like, "hey I have this issue, let's deal with it and move on" than to just let it pop out when the pastor is over for a visit you know?
I don't want them jumping out on my grandma or my mom or dad and causing them to have a heart attack when I least expect it! Ha. Deal with those skeletons peeps.
Deal with those things that scare you.
Deal with that loss.
Deal with that heartache.
Deal with that temptation.
Deal with that health issue.
Deal with that uncertainty.
Deal with the regret.
Deal with the doubt.
Deal with that skeleton.
Kill it.
Bury that SOB in a shallow grave in the back yard and move on.


No comments:

Post a Comment