Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The In Your Face Truth- Reasons or Excuses

Consider this your wake up call.
Consider this your come to Jesus moment.
Consider this the slap in the face, the kick in the ass, the call you out in the middle of church moment.
 
There are reasons and there are excuses.
It is vital that if you are going to make a positive change in your life for your health that you learn the difference in reasons and excuses.
 
A reason is something like, I have been diagnosed with cancer and have medical bills.
A reason is that your kid needs some medication that your insurance doesn't cover.
A reason is that you or your spouse just lost their job or you are losing your house or some other life altering event.
 
An excuse is I don't have the money when you always have your nails and hair done just so, when you eat out everyday.
 
Being healthy (or healthier) is a CHOICE. It's not something that is easy at first and it will not be cheap either. Eating better food is more expensive, it's true. The economy sucks, that is true too, but you cannot use the economy as a reason when it is really an EXCUSE.
 
What will it take to stop the excuses? Want to know what it took me? It took me seeing the scale climb PAST the 300 mark to the 320 mark. It took me having ONE pair of jeans that fit but mostly having to wear pants with elastic bands. It took me having to make excuses why I didn't want to ride rides at Dollywood because the truth is I was certain that I would not fit in the seats. It took me having to say that I cannot go ziplining because I was over the weight limit (by like a lot). It took me getting fed up with always feeling awful. It took me realizing that I was thirty years old and I was going to DIE if I didn't do something. It took me finally admitting to myself that I was MISERABLE and SICK and that I was denying myself the best life possible.
 
So what will it take for you? Will it take getting to the weight I was at? Will it take you being at the park with your baby and not being able to run and play with them? Will it take losing a toe or foot or feeling in your hands to diabetes? Will it take looking into your child's face and realizing that you may not be there to see them graduate, or get married, or have children of their own. What will it take for you to stop the EXCUSES that you call reasons.
 
I have become a coach with Beachbody. I have felt such an inclination for this brand since I was asked to learn more about it. Here's the deal. My reason for doing this. This blog, these Facebook posts, this Beachbody thing is because I am proof that if you stop the excuses, no matter your starting point YOU CAN DO THIS!
 
I have had people say that they cannot afford the Beachbody program.
Look. I don't know your financial situation, maybe it is a reason for you. But maybe it isn't.
 
Let's do some math here. Let's say that you decide to do the challenge. Let's say the 21 Day Fix. Why am I choosing that? Well, it a beginning level thing and the exercise DVDs have modifications that you can take if you need them as well. With this challenge pack you get everything you need. Eating plan instructions, the containers to measure your food, your Shakeology that can be used as a snack or a meal replacement, your exercise DVDs and your personal coach (me) who is really invested in you and your success.
 
I'm not telling you that the program is cheap. But you know that old adage 'you get what you pay for'. So let's say that you get the $160 challenge pack and then you decide to keep doing your Shakeology because, well, it's great for you. But you tell me that you cannot afford the challenge pack.
 
Ok. $160 (not counting shipping) is about $5.30 a day. Where can we get $5.30 a day?
 
Did you eat out today? Maybe you had lunch at McDonalds instead of packing our lunch. That is probably a good $5.
Did you have a coffee this morning, maybe Starbucks? That was probably another $4 or more.
How many Coke's did you drink today?
Did you visit the vending machine?

See when I decided that I was going to be healthier, I knew that it wouldn't be cheap. I knew that there may be things that I would have to sacrifice in order to pay for the gluten free, organic, fresh foods that I now eat. I knew that the sweet siren of Starbucks would have to fall by the wayside some, I knew that the eating out was going to have to change. But you know what?
IT WAS WORTH IT!!

It was worth not always getting a huge Starbucks drink that had a ton of calories and carbs (now don't get me wrong, I still sometimes get SB but now, NF Milk, SF Mocha and no whip). It was worth not going out as much to save money on food and gas. Feeling like I am a human again, feeling strong and clear minded and energized was worth it! Starting to love myself again was worth those sacrifices that I made to get better food. It was worth it not filling my body with garbage and chemicals that we call food that ARE NOT FOOD.

Yes, Shakeology is about $120 a month. But that averages out to about $4 a day. A DAY! That is less than the average fast food meal, less than an espresso drink, less than some people's smoking or Skoal habits! We get so caught up in things that we think are necessities in life. Having our nails done, making sure than our hair is colored precisely every 4 weeks, getting our facials or pedis. I'm not saying that we don't deserve those things or that we shouldn't have those things but are nice manicured nails really more important than your health?
Those nails will look really nice on your dead body when you die from obesity or diabetes or heart disease.

"But why is it so expensive?" You ask. "I can do Weight Watchers for $20 a month."
I have done WW, I had some success. But I got tired of figuring up points and so I quit doing it. But you want to know the most important thing that I learned that has made me NOT be a fan of WW. WW tells you that you can still eat anything you want as long as you stay in your points range. They don't care if you are eating foods that are processed or bad for you as long as you stay in your points range! We want you to eat better and have great things going into your body. We want to change your LIFESTYLE to make better food choices, not just eat garbage that is in your point range. I'm not saying that WW is bad, but it's not optimal. I don't necessarily feel that it is sustainable.

NOTHING is more important than your health. Your kid doesn't NEED to wear all the latest name brand clothes. (I know what you are thinking, you don't have kids, I will ALWAYS put my child before myself) Look, I'm not saying make your kid wear rags, or ignore their needs, but what I am saying is that if your kid had to choose between Hollister and having a mom or dad, they would probably choose their mom or dad. I don't think that any child who has ever lost a parent to obesity or poor health has ever said, "I don't care that Mommy/Daddy can't play with me at the park, I have this really nice outfit."
If you don't take care of yourself you won't be around for the people you love anyway.

We live in a culture where possessions or having things is more important than having our health. This is CRAZY! How can you enjoy all the things that money can buy if you don't have the one thing that money can't buy?

We are not rich in my house. Sometimes we wonder if we are going to make the bills. But I made the decision that I cannot and I will not continue to live a half-life. There is no magic unicorn for me to suck blood from here (Harry Potter ref).

So here is the truth. YOU have to make the decision that your life is more important than getting your nails done. It's more important than always dressing a certain way or having your hair done. (I'm not giving up having my hair done, but sometimes it's longer between touch-ups than others, you know). I would sacrifice ANY physical possession now to keep eating better and feeling better.

So, what is more important to you than your life?
What is so important to you that you can't find $5 a day to try and live a longer, healthier life?
What is so crucial to your existence that you would choose it over your spouse, your children, your grandchildren, or your future?

I am still a LONG way from where I want to be and where I need to be in my health journey. But I wouldn't take back a single PENNY that I have spent on making a life that is worth living. I used to spend my extra money on coffee and ice cream, now I spend it on supplements and organics.

The point of this post was to make you look at your life and see where your priorities are. Do you have reasons or excuses why you can't take the steps to eat better and be healthier? You really have to look with discernment to figure this out.

REASONS
or
EXCUSES?

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment