Sunday, June 22, 2014

21 Day Fix: Day #5: Truth Time

 21 Day Fix: Day #5:  Truth Time
 
The Workout
Because I actually started my day with my workout I thought that I would start this post with the workout. Today was YOGA day! Ideally, they think that you start the plan on a Monday and so Sunday is your 'active recovery' day. It's a day when you can just stretch out and 'thank your body for all it did this week.' Seems legit.
I love yoga. Like I really love yoga. But there are some things about yoga that do not work in my favor.
1. I have dogs. Dogs and yoga DO NOT mix. They have to be put outside other wise when you are on the floor they think that is cuddle time and so they are all over you and in your face and you can't focus on breathing when you have a dog in your face.
2. When you have short legs I feel like some of the beauty of yoga is taken away.
3. When you are fat you cannot do such good forward bends because your stomach gets in the way.
4. I'm not that flexible.
But, undeterred, I do love yoga. If you would like to get a good yoga DVD that will really make you work Bob Harper (from The Biggest Loser) has a Biggest Loser Weight-loss Yoga DVD out. I really, really enjoy it. It has three different workouts on it and you build on each week, you get the picture.
But on to 21DF yoga. She comes in hard and fast. I feel like maybe at the beginning she moves too fast for someone who may not be familiar with yoga at all. She names a lot of poses as she wants you to go into them. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep your eyes on a screen and do some of these poses. So if you don't know what "upward dog" and "downward dog" look like it's not going to be that easy for you to follow along. She also moves between the movements very quickly at this time. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact it's meat for you to be able to move between the poses in that way but if you have zero yoga experience it would be easy to feel frustrated when you didn't know the moves or couldn't do the moves along with them. She also starts out with some Vinyasa yoga which is fast-paced strung together movements, like I described. So again, if you are new to yoga, it may be hard for you to keep up during the first part. The good news is that she does the combination maybe 4 or 5 times so after the first time or two you should be able to follow along more easily.
After about the first 10 minutes you move into slower more relaxing and focused movements that are a little easier to follow, so for a yoga newbie, if you can just hang through the first segment, you will feel better afterwards.
Again, Kat modifies the movements for you. Interesting story. I'm pretty sure that this woman Kat is also the woman Kat from the Leslie Sansone walking DVDs. Interesting. Anyway, don't feel bad if you have to modify some of the modifications. I have had to before and that is okay.
It is so important to remember that this journey is about YOU. It's not about doing what they do on the DVD or doing what someone that you workout with does. It is about you. You do what you can do. Slow progress is still progress and you have to be willing to push onward.
So that was the exercise for today. My legs are starting to not hurt so badly so hopefully this week I can get back to my running.
 
The Food
My sister-in-law, niece, and nephew are here visiting for a few days. Today we are going to Dollywood with the kids. Never fear, I am taking my containers and wherever we eat there (as I am sure that we will) I intend on using my containers. Maybe we can go to Granny's Buffet where there are a lot of choices, I don't know, but anyway. I knew that I had to get the most out of what I ate at home this morning because there is a possibility of that amazing Dollywood cinnamon bread in my future.
So I started the day off right post workout with my Shakeology. Have I said that I am really starting to enjoy this of the morning. Because I get up early I can have Shake-o and then actual breakfast type food if I choose to as a mid-morning meal. While I am not going to stick with this vegan mix, I have come to tolerate it. Again the taste is not bad, but it is different and the texture is...interesting.
I will be getting a new order near the first of July.
 
BREAKFAST
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Shake-o
1 RED; 1 PURPLE
 
RECIPE 
1 Scoop Shakeology
1 container strawberries (I used frozen)
8oz water
Combine all in blender and blend until smooth.
 
MID-MORNING SNACK
Yes, old reliable. I just love it so!
 
RECIPE
Fage 0% Plain Greek Yogurt
Udi's Gluten Free Cranberry Granola
Frozen peaches, raspberries, and blueberries
1 RED; 1 YELLOW; 1 PURPLE
 
LUNCH

We went out for lunch today with the fam. This plate is from The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge, TN. (It wasn't better than Cracker Barrel, but the cornbread fritters were awesome.)
2.5 RED; 3 YELLOW; 1.5 GREEN
 
LATE DINNER/SNACK

So the trip to Dollywood that we planned was halted when one of the kids got sick after lunch. So I offered to stay home with the kiddo while they went out. I mowed grass and that lead to me coming in hungry, well, kind of hungry. Okay, I would have been fine without eating. Remember that emotional eating thing we talked about? Yo.
But at least I used my cups.
 
RECIPE
Broccoli Slaw Mix
Shredded Leaf Lettuce
Eye of Round Beef Roast
Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
Feta Cheese
Peaches, Mango, Blueberries, Raspberries
1/2 Banana
2 GREEN; 1.5 RED; 1 BLUE; 1 ORANGE; 2 PURPLE
 
 
THE TALK
I cannot lie.
 I had a Skinny Iced Mocha from Starbucks tonight.
See I have these Type A personality tendencies. Sometimes when plans get thrown off, even if it's something that you can't help (like illness) I get frazzled. I get anxious, frustrated. It's no one's fault, I'm not angry and I can't control it. Is that an excuse to eat when I don't need to, no, it's not. Do I often do that? Yes, I admit that I have. So I got my coffee. In my defense, I did get the skinny iced. Maybe 120 cals for the whole thing, but anyway.
I didn't need to eat that last dinner meal. It was 9:00PM, I wasn't that hungry. But I was bored I was still a little annoyed, and again it's something that I can't really control, and so I got this to eat. At least it was catching me up on my veggies. I should have ran instead of mowed, but the kid was playing the Wii in there. Everyday is a chance to get better and that is what I am trying to do. See, I have struggles just like you. I have good days and bad days too and I shouldn't hide that from you or myself.
I titled today's post truth time because truth time is critical for success in ANYTHING that you do. It is critical for life. If you can't be honest with yourself then no matter what you do you will fail.
You may think that isn't true or even fair to say, but truth time says that it is.
Why?
It's true for your health because if you always live in denial that you have a problem with your health or your eating then you will only make yourself sicker until something really bad happens. Even then some people won't be truthful with themselves.
It's true for your goals because if you feed yourself lies about what you are or are not capable of you will never reach your full potential.
Truth time is crucial.
 
This is YOUR truth time. Your truth is that you are strong, you are beautiful, you are capable, you are able, you are also a work in progress, you are unfinished, you are incomplete. As long as you are breathing your story isn't over. There is still time to change it. There is still time to stop lying to yourself and have some truth time.
We get so bogged down with our everyday lives. With making sure that our significant others and kids and parents and customers and coworkers and everyone else we come into contact with is happy and fulfilled and taken care of that we often forget to do that for ourselves. We forget that we have to be our own top priority in a way. Loving and caring for yourself is, dare I say, more important than caring for anyone else. That may be hard to swallow, but think of it like this. If you aren't well physically, emotionally, and mentally, what good will you be to anyone else?
If your health is bad, how can you effectively care for your children or ailing parent or home? If you are down on yourself because you aren't happy with something in your life how will you be able to put time and effort into anything else?
I have dealt with depression a lot in my life. It's something that I struggle with often, even now, it is probably something that I will struggle with forever. I wasn't happy with my level of health. I wasn't happy with feeling sick, I wasn't happy with myself.
Changing my health has changed so much about how I view everyday life. When you feel better, when you feel strong and healthy when you are eating food as fuel when you are giving your body good food and nutrients and vitamins and not giving it chemicals and things that we don't need your whole life will change. Let me say that again.
YOUR.
WHOLE.
LIFE.
WILL.
CHANGE.
If you are putting off caring for your health. You are not only doing yourself a disservice, but really everyone around you too. You aren't being your best you. You can't be when you are not fueling your body with the best stuff possible.
Think of your body as a car. If you have a gas fueled vehicle, you cannot fill it with diesel and drive. It's the wrong fuel. Even if you do get the gas you will notice you run better on Premium than on Regular. (I hate to admit this, but it is true.)
Our bodies are no different. You will run better on premium than on low grade food. You have to pay a little more (I call it INVESTING), but isn't investing a little more worth keeping yourself running at your peak performance?
One day sit down with yourself and have your truth time. Sit down and really have a heart to heart with yourself about what is important to you. Ask yourself if you want to change your life and if you do why do you want to?
You have to either be all in or all out. You can't be on the fence. On the fence for health is something like you exercise but still eat horribly. You may eat better, but you aren't active.
Have your truth time.
Embrace your truth time.
In your truth time decide what is important to you.
Then decide what you have to do for those important things.
Then commit to getting them.
HAVE. TRUTH. TIME.
Don't lie to yourself because when you do, you start a ripple that will go through everything you do.
 
TRUTH TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment